Not defined by what I am,
but what I give to my community and humanity.”
First, to Hon. George Martinez & Clara Guerrero: Thank You.
[youtube width=”640″ height=”360″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pl0pHJg_l8[/youtube]
Occupy Wall St. Hip Hop Anthem
Occupation Freedom, Ground Zero And The Global Block Collective
People have either asked me over the last few weeks “why aren’t you involved in #Occupy WallStreet, #OccupyOakland, etc.?”
Some have gone as far as expressing an expectation that I would be directly involved.
I’ve responded to them mostly with questions, questions rooted in appreciative inquiry:
- What do you believe will add value to society generally?
- What do you believe will add value to the society you move in specifically?
- What spaces have you left to occupy wall street?
- How are those spaces being cared for in your absence? And by who?
- In what ways are you unwilling to tolerate the greed and corruption?
- In what ways are you willing to tolerate the greed and corruption?
- What do expect will come from #OccupyWallStreet?
- What have seen you witnessed come from the occupation thus far?
- What do expect will come from your involvement?
- What do you expect will come from mine?
- What did you contribute?
- Who do you see at these occupations? Who don’t you see?
- If you’re like me and you’re still asking questions, what do you expect to contribute when you do?
- How & what do you expect I can contribute?
- What moved you try to move me?
I move mostly from a place of intuition, looking for where to start my contribution.
Right now, I am occupying several spaces,
and working with the intention of bringing to these spaces, questions of what I can contribute, and how this contribution acts as a offer my community, and to humanity.
Occupy spaces with questions.
Occupy spaces with answers.
Watching this video, was the spark I needed.
To those that participated in the creation of it, thank you.
If art is process, I wonder what questions and answers you came to in the creation of this video.
To those that are asking me questions, thank you.
If asking the right questions is still a skill worthy of investment, I wonder who is invested in you?
To those that are creating answers, thank you.
If these occupations lead to connecting people who can discover answers to questions asked by humanity for generations, I wonder what spaces we will occupy next.